Thursday, April 5, 2007

Little bonnets for your Easter Egg's

When I was at the supermarket yesterday I picked up the free magazine they distribute.

Inside I found these funny little bonnets for your Easter Egg's. There is still some time left to make them ! So if you are interested, I have translated the instructions for those of you that don't speak Dutch. For the Dutch people who are reading this : it is in AllerHande from AH.





Instructions for Easter Bonnets:

This is for the short version:

With US 8 needles cast on 24 stitches with two strands of yarn (if you are using thicker yarn you can use it single) They didn't provide any details about the yarns they used so I guess you have to find out yourself how many stitches you need to cast on ( you can alway swatch it on a egg)

Knit 4 rows in ribstitch ( K1, P1 )

Row 5: continue with US 6 needles and decrease 3 stitches divides over the row.

Row 6: purl.

Row 7: knit



Repeat rows 6 and 7 to row 16.

Row 17: K2, K2tog to last 2 stitches, then K2. There are 14 st. remaining

Row 18: Purl.

Row 19: K1, K2tog to last stitch, K1. There are 8 stitches rem.

Row 20: Purl.

Row 21: K1, K2tog to last stitch, K1. There a 5 stitches rem.

Continue the following 11 rows without decreases. Purl 1 row, Knit 1 row.

Cut the thread ( leave enough yarn left to fix the point ) and pull the yarn with a needle through the remaining stiches and pull tight. Close the seam with the same thread. Then you can fold the top of the bonnet in half and wrap the thread around it a couple of times so it stays fixed. (See picture)

Weave in loose threads.


Long tail version:

Make as previous one, exept make no more decreases from row 19. Continue with 8 stitches and knit 20 more rows. Finish the same as the previous one but do not fold in half.



You can decorate it however you like, embroider something on it, sew on some beads or some feathers. Use your imagination.......







I cast on two more scarfs:




This is going to be a long, narrow scarf in Handmaiden Sea Silk, color "Pinata".

Some time ago I was Googling for Sea Silk and happened to come across a picture of a scarf made in this pattern. I can't remeber the site but I did remember where the pattern came from.

It is in Barbara Walkers "A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns" on page 219. It is called the Vertical Drop-Stitch, a very easy pattern with a nice effect.
I cast on 44 stitches on US2 needles.


A close-up

Second is a scarf in a Worsted Weight Merino. I bought this yarn on Etsy from laughingrat.
It has about every color in it you can imagine exept red. The colors are a little bit darker than it shows in the picture but I find it very hard to capture the colors when I'm taking pictures.

The pattern is from Li's weblog http://lifesastitch.typepad.com/
It is called the Herringbone Rib, if you leave her a comment she will gladly send you the pattern !


And again a close-up..

I'v got my sock yarn !
Now I need some circulars to knit them ! I am the proud owner of these KnitPicks needles, but they only go from size US3 ! I need smaller ones for socks.. So now I will have to order Addi Turbo's online, because they don't sell these near me. The socks will have to wait......



And so does the next project I have my eyes on :
The River Rock Scarf from the book "No Sheep for You". I pre-ordered the book at Amazon but it took ages to get here. Finally this week it arrived and it was really worth the wait. There a quite some things I really would like to make some day, the Tuscany Shawl in particular.
I bought this lovely yarn for the River Rock Scarf, Handmaiden Silken in "Paris". It is buttersoft and has a beautiful sheen on it ! Oh, how I love all those wonderful yarns out there waiting to be bought......... by me?
















2 comments:

Life's a Stitch said...

Wonderful scarves, of course I might be biased. I have to find that vertical drop stitch pattern. I love the way the colours are patterning. And the egg hats are adorable.
Li

Life's a Stitch said...

I just found the pattern online. I'm off to find some pretty yarn.
Li