I have been knitting too, something for my sister's birthday. It's a scarf made from 1 skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk in the color "Mermaid". It has a silvery sheen on the purples and blues, which indeed could resemble a Mermaid's tail. Just the colors she loves.
I made it in about 1 week and finished the day of her birthday. Phew, that was close !
I don't have more pictures because it was wrapped in a hurry, but I can tell you she was VERY pleased with it.
The Vertical Drop Stitch Scarf
It's very simple to make, I'll give you the pattern here:
With 3 mm needles (or US 3) cast on 44 stitches.
Setup row, right side: K1, *p2, k1, yo, k1, p2, k2 ; rep from *, end with p2, k1.
Rows 1, 3 and 5, wrong side : P1, * k2, p2, k2, p3: rep from *, end with k2, p1.
Row 2 and 4, right side: K1, * p2, k3, p2, k2: rep from *, end with p2, k1.
Row 6: k1, * p2, k1, drop next st. off the needle and unravel down to the yo six rows below, k1, p2, k1, yo, k1 : rep from *, end with p2, k1.
Rows 7, 9 and 11 : p1, * k2, p3, k2, p2 ;, rep from *, end with k2, p1
Rows 8 and 10 : k1, * p2, k2, p2, k3; rep from *, end with p2, k1
Row 12 : k1,* p2, k1, yo, k1, p2, k1, drop next st. off needle as before, k1 ; rep from *, end with p2, k1.
Cast off : work row 6 or row 12 omitting the yo's, then cast off.
This is what I have been spinning lately: above is appr. 207 yards of a 2-ply (DK weight) made of 4.0z merino roving I bought from FrecklFaceFibers at Etsy. I made it so that it will knit up in stripes. I hope.
Below is a thick and thin spun singles from a batt bought at Loop also an Etsy store. It has lots of colors in it with all kinds of little scraps of fabric and glittery stuff. I had so much fun making this ! At first I was afraid to touch the batt, it was so pretty and I was afraid to mess it up, but then decided not be such a chicken and just DO it. I am rather pleased with it, I have absolutely no idea what to make with it, but it is fun to look at it and touch it now and then. I also have no idea how many yards there are in this because I didn't have a niddy noddy when I wound it.
This is a single ply lace to fingering weight yarn, made from 4 oz of Australian superwash merino roving called Choco Raspberry. It's from Zen Yarn Garden . It has reds, pinks and brown in it and I am hoping it will enough to make this . Mimknits has not released the Persephone pattern yet, but it seems a perfect match to me.
Then I promised a long time ago to Sereknitty to post 7 random facts about me. Well here we go:
* I was born 46 years ago in Gouda, so yes you could say I am a "cheesehead" or a "kaaskop" as we say in Dutch.
* We lived on the banks of the Hollandsche IJssel, and when I was a little girl I used to swim across it. Imagine, a tidal river with a strong currant and big boats. I never ever allowed my children to swim in it.
* My father was a roadworker and used to take me with him on Sataurday mornings when he had to a job. So if you need someone who can pave your garden, just call me !
*I am very fond at all kinds of animals with 1 big exception. Spppppiders, brrr..... They give me the creeps. I have nightmares about them, really, just ask my DH.
* Addicted to chocolate, that's what I am. Can't live a day without it !
* As a real Dutch girl I ought to love herring, raw with onions. But... I don't, I find it really disgusting. If I see a herringcart I am not tempted to stop there as my DH does, just the thought of it, yuck..... As a matter of fact I don't like fish in general.
* Besides a yarn addicition I also have a shoe addiction. If I see a shoestore I just have to visit it, which often results to....new shoes.
So to top it off I think it is time for another blackbun picture. Isn't she cute with her head in my hand ? She just loves to sit like this and lick my hand from time to time.