Friday, January 11, 2008

Juno is ready

And I am really happy with her !

Pattern: Juno Regina
Yarn: Silk/merino laceweight yarn from the Plucky Knitter in color "Platinum"
Needles: US 4, 3,5 mm.

This was such an enjoyable project ! The yarn was a delight to knit with, the pattern was easy to follow and the result was everything I hoped for. The yarn really had a lot to do with the pleasure, Sarah really knows how to dye a yarn !
It's as light as air but still quite warm because of the merino while the silk gives it a subtle sheen. It also looks good on my red coat which isn't really as red as in the picture BTW.
I asked my DH to take some pictures of me wearing the shawl but they all came out blurry. I wasn't wearing the coat then in case you were wandering, so he couldn't have been blinded by it !
Wearing this coat makes me happy on days like these, it has been a really gray and rainy day here. And it looks like the coming days are not going to be much better.

Here is another picture of it with some more detail.

This one also came of the needles recently, it's one of the scarfs from the book Scarf Style , Misty Garden. The yarn is from Habu : Mohair Tam in aqua blue. I can't remember where I bought it, but it's VERY soft and warm. I used 4 balls for it, I just kept knitting untill I ran out of yarn.
The picture above is the most accurate in color I think.


I'm glad everything is back to normal now, everyone is either back at work or at school. And from what I have read on other blogs I'm not the only one who was glad the holidays were over .

Anyway, exciting things are about to happen. I am going to take my first spinning lessons ever next week ! I can hardly wait ! Last November there was a knitting and needlework fair where someone was demonstrating a Majacraft spinning wheel. I asked if they also gave spinning lessons and they wrote down my name and said they would contact me when they would start a new group. Last night they called and asked if I was still interested, silly question offcourse ! So saturday the 19th I will have my first lesson. If you would have asked me a year ago if I wanted to spin, I probably would have said no. I always thought it was kind of oldfashioned and not something I was interested in at all. But after reading all kinds of blogs where lovely things were created with handspun yarn I changed my mind. I really want to give this a try, maybe I won't like it, maybe I'm not good at it all, but at least I tried. And maybe one dayI will knit a shawl with my own handspun yarn !

Now Juno is ready I can continue with this: Simurgh from Anne. I started this a few weeks before Christmas, but then all the Christmas knitting had to be finished so I only did a few repeats so far. The yarn is Wollmeise laceweight yarn in Veilchen, a dark blue/purple color, very hard to capture in the right color.




I blocked it out a bit so you can see the shape of the feathers here. The yarn is slightly thinner than the pattern asked for but I am going to make the biggest size so it will still be big enough.


10 comments:

Sarah said...

SOOOO pretty! I love it! Wow. You really whip out the lace - very impressive.

: )

Oiyi said...

Your Juno came out so beautifully. Absolutely gorgeous! I also love the color of your Misty Garden.

I think Juno might be a good first lace project for me.

Sereknitty said...

Love your Juno! I have that pattern bookmarked and am thinking of using a variegated bamboo laceweight yarn in cranberry ... I'm so impressed with your latest lace project. That shawl is gorgeous and the colour is so rich. I can hardly wait to see it finished!

Kirsten said...

Your Juno is beautiful!! I've got a Juno on the needles right now. Seeing your finished version makes me want to hurry up and get mine done!

Anonymous said...

Hurray, you're taking up spinning! :-)

I have the feeling you will be a natural and that it won't be long before you have knit something from your own handspun.

Danielle said...

Juno is beautiful, I really love it on your red coat! Misty Garden looks soft and yummy to touch. I can't believe you've undertaken Simurgh too!! Besides Anne, you are simply the queen of knitting lace to me :)!

Anonymous said...

Oh, so beautiful your Juno!!!

And isn't feather and fan just a wonderfully easy lace pattern?

Toe maar, je gaat leren spinnen!!! Een vriendin heeft recentelijk leren spinnen en telkens als ik bij haar op bezoek ben, geniet ik zo van het klikkende en snorrende geluid van haar wiel.

Ik heb toch zoveel nog te leren in breien... Ik ben gewoon angstig om spinnen te proberen want ik weet dat als ik eenmaal begin, ik niet meer achter het wiel vandaan kom.

Heel veel plezier met spinnen, Marianne!

Windyridge said...

Very pretty scarf, I am really into lace scarfs myself. I love knitting them and am in the midst of one right now, pics are scattered throughout my blog.
Good luck with the spinning. I need to get back into some roving that has to be spun asap. I promised someone thrummed mittens and the winter will be over before I get them done!

Romi said...

Juno is looking lovely! :)

Life's a Stitch said...

You're giving me the itch to get back to my lace knitting. I haven't been brave enough to pick up my Print O the Wave after it fell off the needles. It will take some time to figure out where I am on it.